7 Evaluation Questions

Question 1: In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

My Horror film exploits the use of sound to build up tension throughout the film. It uses little details to let the viewers in on the story without shoving exposition in their face, unlike a number of horror films. It also subverts the trope of a victim being lured to a location by having the killer lock the student in a location that they go to frequently regardless.

Question 2: How does your media product represent particular social groups?

Hide and Seek does very little to represent any social group. The only person who might be a part of a typical social group (male student) is shown to be mild, withdrawn, and quiet, but there is generally very little to go over, especially considering the lack of dialogue.

Question 3: What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

I believe that Warner Brothers is the ideal company for the production and distribution of "Hide and Seek" as they have had a history of horror films and a good reputation, meaning that people are more likely to take interest in the film, as a prestigious company produced it.


Question 4: Who would be the audience for your media product?

My Horror film is mostly targeted at fans of other typical horror films and people looking for a little bit of mystery. I didn't have a specific age or gender in mind, and there is nothing to stop people of either gender enjoying this, however young children should not watch. I had what I would enjoy in a horror film in mind when I made this, so teenage boys with a good attention/appreciation for detail are the closest thing to a primary target audience that this film has.

Question 5: How did you attract/address your audience?

Video advertisements on TV and YouTube would be the most effective way to advertise the film, as the product is a video itself, allowing for a more accurate preview.


Question 6: What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?

Making this film gave me a good understanding of many things, and taught me my strengths and weaknesses. For instance, I learned that I possess skills with sound editing and creating atmosphere, and that I have weaknesses in camerawork. Looking back also helped me identify some problems and areas where I could improve. For instance, I thought of a few more ways to foreshadow events and give subtle exposition.

Question 7: Looking back at your preliminary task what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to full product?

"Hide and Seek" is an improvement on the prelim task in many ways. For a start, being more subtle with the camera angles and movements makes it less "in your face" and that's an improvement when you consider the tone of the film. While this an easy improvement because it was absent in the prelim task, sound editing has been largely improved and used to it's greatest effect. A lot of the improvements came from me doing most of the editing myself, allowing me to have complete creative freedom while Alex McNally had complete control over the editing of his version. This forced me to get more creative as I had no one else to ask for ideas or approval.


Alex Harris 16/04/2017

Comments

  1. Unfortunately none of these are detailed enough but at least they are done, Alex.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Fuzz Scene Analysis: Kill the Messenger

Finished Film Evaluation

Media in my life